Requirements For Starting a Milk Bar ATM Business in Kenya
This article outlines some of the key requirements that an investor on Milk ATM business in Kenya, Milk Bar or Parlor should have for a smooth operation. A Milk ATM baris a retail outlet that sells milk and other dairy products to consumers. Milk bars generally handle between 50 to 200 litres of milk per day. The milk bar ATM machines have in-built coolers and use electricity to store and dispense milk.
Kenya has a well-developed dairy industry with an estimated production of 5.2 billion litres of milk per year. Actually, the dairy industry in Kenya contributes approximately 14% and 4.5% of the country’s agricultural and National Gross Domestic Products (GDP) respectively.
The licensing of milk bars is done by the Kenya Dairy Board (KDB). As of last year, there were more than 1,400 licensed milk bars in the country. Most of these milk bars are located in urban and peri-urban areas.
The procedure of Starting a Milk ATM Bar in Kenya
1. Identify a suitable premise to set up the milk bar. The premise should meet the following hygienic and operational requirements.
- The premise should be located away from sources of contamination.
- The floors, walls and ceilings should be impervious, easy to clean and sanitize.
- The premise should have adequate and protected lighting and ventilation.
- The premise should have adequate hand washing and sanitization facilities.
- Adequate and clean toilet and sanitary facilities should be provided.
- The premise should be designed to prevent cross-contamination of milk.
- Surfaces of milk containers intended to come into contact with milk should be easy to clean and disinfect, corrosion-resistant and not capable of transferring harmful substances to the milk.
- The layout of the equipment should allow for adequate cleaning and prevent cross-contamination.
Cleaning and sanitization programs.
- The cleaning and disinfecting agents should be effective, safe and easily rinsed.
- Immediate cleaning and disinfection of the equipment and containers after use.
- Milk handlers should be free of contagious or infectious diseases which may be transferred through the milk or affect the quality and safety of the milk.
- Milk handling personnel should observe personal hygiene, wear suitable protective attire and avoid undesirable behaviour during milk handling.
- Provide adequate and clean potable water for cleaning of equipment, facilities, utensils and containers.
- Liquid and solid waste should be disposed of in accordance with the relevant regulations.
- Ensure solid and liquid waste does not harbour flies, insects and other rodents.
- Premises should be managed by a qualified supervisor or manager.
- Recommended processing schedules should be followed e.g. pasteurization temperatures and time controls.
2. Contact the nearest Kenya Dairy Board office for a preliminary inspection of premises (Where areas of non-compliance are identified, improvements should be undertaken)
3. Apply online for licensing.
The application fees for a milk bar license is Ksh 600. The online application is done at the Kenya Dairy Board Portal.
The following documents will be required.
- A copy of your business registration certificate
- PIN certificate
- Identity card
- Proof of pasteurization
- Medical certificate of the Milk handling personnel
4. You will then obtain notification of inspection.
5. Upon successful inspection, you will be required to pay the requisite license fees of Ksh 2,500. This is an annual fee.
6. Once you have made the payment, the license will be processed within 14 days. The license will be valid for a period of one year.
7. You can now start operations and pay monthly cess and levy as and where applicable. Kindly note that non-compliance can lead to suspension of the permit.
You can always relay on Tassmatt Agencies Limited for Milk Vending ATM Machines in Kenya for your milk bar, Tassmatt assist on obtaining of all the listed licenses upon purchase of the machine. Give them a call via 0726-410068. Keep in mind that milk coolers and milk pasteurizers are also available.